The Music Crib!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Music Crib!
The Music Crib!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bassist Goes Back To School

3 posters

Go down

Bassist Goes Back To School Empty Bassist Goes Back To School

Post by Sykesy Sun Oct 05, 2008 4:42 pm

Red Hot Chili Peppers bassist Flea has enrolled in the University of Southern California (USC) music programme.

The bassist, real name Michael Balzary, said he decided to take music classes at the prestigious private California university to learn "the math and academics" of musical structure.

"I'm glad my music education has developed the way that it has, but it's so much fun to learn this stuff because I never knew anything," he told the Los Angeles Times.

"I played trumpet in the school bands," he continued. "I learned things I liked to play on my trumpet but I didn't learn why this note goes with this note and why it produces that sound. Or how to create tension in the composition.

"The Chili Peppers did that in our song structures but all based on emotion and intuition as opposed to knowing the math and academics of it. Knowing the structure is really fun."

Flea also confirmed that the Red Hot Chili Peppers are taking a two-year hiatus from recording music together.

"We just needed two years," he explained. "We had our noses to the grindstones so hard for so long. We needed to get away from it and get a fresh perspective on things."

The band's last release was the 2006 double album "Stadium Arcadium".
Sykesy
Sykesy
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1192
Favourite bands/Artists: : Nickelback, Fall out Boy, A7X, Hinder, The Offspring, The All-American Rejects, TOAD, SOAD, Metallica, Van Halen, Linkin Park, KsE, HELLYEAH, Mudvayne and a crap load more.
Registration date : 2008-09-26

https://themusiccrib.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Bassist Goes Back To School Empty Re: Bassist Goes Back To School

Post by Kizza Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:51 am

Lol, he needs to learn how to play. He's quite obviously crap Razz
Kizza
Kizza
Mainstream Hopeful
Mainstream Hopeful

Number of posts : 391
Favourite bands/Artists: : Led Zeppelin, Megadeth, Slipknot, Black Tide, In Flames, Scars On Broadway, 5 Finger Death Punch, Dream Theater, Killswitch Engage, Dope, Metallica + shitloads more.
Registration date : 2008-10-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Sykesy Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:52 am

Flea is a great Bassist. What are you talking about
Sykesy
Sykesy
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1192
Favourite bands/Artists: : Nickelback, Fall out Boy, A7X, Hinder, The Offspring, The All-American Rejects, TOAD, SOAD, Metallica, Van Halen, Linkin Park, KsE, HELLYEAH, Mudvayne and a crap load more.

https://themusiccrib.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Kizza Wed Oct 15, 2008 2:14 am

I was joking. My God.
Kizza
Kizza
Mainstream Hopeful
Mainstream Hopeful

Number of posts : 391
Favourite bands/Artists: : Led Zeppelin, Megadeth, Slipknot, Black Tide, In Flames, Scars On Broadway, 5 Finger Death Punch, Dream Theater, Killswitch Engage, Dope, Metallica + shitloads more.
Registration date : 2008-10-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Bolty B Wed Oct 15, 2008 2:39 am

Guess someone doesn't have an Anzac sense of humour. Flea's great, but I thought it was an article about going back to high school. Now THAT would have been funny.
Bolty B
Bolty B
Moderator!
Moderator!

Number of posts : 249
Favourite bands/Artists: : Prince, Michael Jackson, New Order, Joy Division, The Clash, George Michael, David Bowie, Billy Joel, Phil Collins, Stevie Wonder, The Smiths, Morrissey, Oasis, Van Halen, Guns 'N' Roses, Blink-182

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down